This is a forum dedicated to Zelda hacking (specifically A Link To The Past).

HomeGalleryROM MapLatest imagesRAM MapRegisterLog in

Heya guys. Intro and a few questions...

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
krestof

Heya guys. Intro and a few questions... Empty
PostSubject: Heya guys. Intro and a few questions...   Heya guys. Intro and a few questions... EmptyWed Feb 15, 2012 8:43 pm

I don't know you, and you don't know me. Razz

I'm just really new to zelda hacking and quite amateurish at the moment. But I do hope the site grows more and becomes a well-known place to turn to...

Anyway! I've sort of been working on a little "project" of my own...

I've managed to completely change the blockset of the inside of Link's house. Now I still have somewhat of an issue because I want to be rid of that light rain sound against the roof. Not that I want the rain to completely stop, but considering the location I'd be starting Link in, it wouldn't be logical to hear the rain just yet. It's kind of curious, because I can't really tell what's causing the rain to be heard on other dungeon maps... so, anyone have a clue how to change which maps hear that sound?

I've got a few more questions though. You know the blank rooms in the dungeon section? Do they do anything at all? Take room 205 for instance. It's got a parallaxing BG and a hole warp... just wondering in case I want to take a wrecking ball and start building over dungeons and blank spots without consequence.

That reminds me of another thing, though... do the BOSSES have to be in the same exact rooms?

Well, thanks for all your help.
Back to top Go down
wiiqwertyuiop
Need anything? PM me and i'll try my best to help!
wiiqwertyuiop

PostSubject: Re: Heya guys. Intro and a few questions...   Heya guys. Intro and a few questions... EmptyWed Feb 15, 2012 9:00 pm

Hello welcome, enjoy your stay! Smile

To answer you questions:

1. Couldn't you start link in a different location?

2. Should be fine.

3. It depends what you are doing. For example if you put gannon in a room where you can scrool the screen, his positions will get messed up.
Back to top Go down
https://hh-zelda-hacking.forumotion.com
krestof

PostSubject: Re: Heya guys. Intro and a few questions...   Heya guys. Intro and a few questions... EmptyWed Feb 15, 2012 10:27 pm

Hey! Thanks for the response...

Anyway, I'm not sure how to start the game off in a completely different room. Well, I SUPPOSE it has something to do with starting location 00. I've just tested out entering a completely different room and it seems to change in the editor...

BUT, I think it's just masking a symptom of a problem, anyway. Because I still have no idea what affects whether or not you can hear the rain in a dungeon map. Maybe it's hard coded somewhere to check for specific rooms.. I guess what I'm saying is, even if I can start the game off in a different room, then that means moving to other locations may randomly have the rain sound or not?

EDIT: so, I've been playing around with that. Removed a bunch of guards and ran around everywhere without doing the castle quest at all. Pretty much every building I walked into had the raining effect playing. Almost every cave had the raining effect too... I also did the whole eastern palace, with the raining effect present throughout the whole thing! Funnily enough, that one old thieves' hideout in the village... when you go downstairs the rain effect stops! Then it's present when you come up again.

lol, so I dunno about this... Is the game just really smart, for the most part, or is the range of dungeon rooms affected by the raining sound just that huge?
Back to top Go down
wiiqwertyuiop
Need anything? PM me and i'll try my best to help!
wiiqwertyuiop

PostSubject: Re: Heya guys. Intro and a few questions...   Heya guys. Intro and a few questions... EmptyThu Feb 16, 2012 1:03 am

Well what it does is check how far you are in the game rather then which dungeon your are in. I know how to get rid of the sound effect, but im not sure if you'd be able to use it again if we did it that way. Or you can wait Razz I have something coming out in the spring that will let you do this.
Back to top Go down
https://hh-zelda-hacking.forumotion.com
krestof

PostSubject: Re: Heya guys. Intro and a few questions...   Heya guys. Intro and a few questions... EmptyThu Feb 16, 2012 5:15 am

Haha... hopefully really good?

I had heard of Black Magic and was like OMG YES! Don't have to worry about any of that s*** anymore! Then, as it turns out... I realized the only thing useful to me was to extend texts and add craptons more enemies and stuff to zerg the player with.

Unless I'm missing something... scratch
Back to top Go down
Puzzledude

Puzzledude

PostSubject: Re: Heya guys. Intro and a few questions...   Heya guys. Intro and a few questions... EmptyThu Feb 16, 2012 7:11 pm

krestof wrote:

Anyway, I'm not sure how to start the game off in a completely different room. Well, I SUPPOSE it has something to do with starting location 00.
Not really. Starting locations are just for starting the game using the code from a srm file. These locations are different from the one that starts the game, which cant be changed, unless you know ASM.

krestof wrote:

Now I still have somewhat of an issue because I want to be rid of that light rain sound against the roof.
Outside rain is hardcoded, but there might be a byte somewhere that prevents the rain sound while being inside. Ouside rain can be removed by extensive hex edits, however the thunder sound is fixed (nobody decoded this one yet).

krestof wrote:

I've got a few more questions though. You know the blank rooms in the dungeon section? Do they do anything at all? Take room 205 for instance. It's got a parallaxing BG and a hole warp... just wondering in case I want to take a wrecking ball and start building over dungeons and blank spots without consequence.
All rooms must not be full. 90% is the limit, 80 is recommended. Some rooms have an internal limit (to much items in one room will bug the whole game). Room 205 is a twin. You must first detwin rooms by data, or make an edit in the room, like adding statues. Choose the number of empty rooms, like 20 (out of about 50). Put 20 different amount of statues in the 20 rooms. This will make them independent from each other. Another problem: some rooms are still twins by sprites. Must be carefull, room5 is a sprite twin of 6, which is boss, so room 5 can only have a shooter sprites or no sprites. Rooms that are Not twins (are already full) are more recommended for editing.

krestof wrote:

That reminds me of another thing, though... do the BOSSES have to be in the same exact rooms?
Can be changed with the tag edit: defeat enemy to clear level, but the pendants or crystals probably wont fall, despite the fact that you have an option in Hyrule Magic which room of which doungen is a staring and ending one.

Back to top Go down
krestof

PostSubject: Re: Heya guys. Intro and a few questions...   Heya guys. Intro and a few questions... EmptySat Feb 18, 2012 4:38 am

BOOM!

Here I was thinking I was ROYALLY sucking at this rom hacking business. Then I figured it out! I figured out how to shut off the rain sound inside!!! cheers

Here, let me tell you... for... reference or something. It has to do with the "Floor" value in the bottom More... configurations for entrances. See, I knew the game had to be intelligently figuring out whether or not to play the rain sound... and THAT is how!

You go in an entrance. It takes the floor value. That is the "floor" it thinks you are on. Then whenever you go up or down stairs the value fluctuates appropriately. When your current "floor" value is 0 or higher, you hear the rain patting on the roof. When the "floor" value is negative, you won't hear it.

Treasure that info, cause it isn't anywhere in Seph's Perfect Guide to Hyrule Magic! He wrote he has no clue about what it does... Also, you know how when you go up stairs and you see a little 7F or 2B or something on the top right followed by a soft beep? Floor ALSO affects that... so.... really, I don't know how he didn't figure that out.
scratch

eh, ok, so this discovery isn't that big of a deal, but still...

...yeah I guess I'm not that great. Still trying to wrestle with them infernal doors!! Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
Aeranima

Aeranima

PostSubject: Re: Heya guys. Intro and a few questions...   Heya guys. Intro and a few questions... EmptyTue May 29, 2012 9:04 am

Welcome. ^^
Back to top Go down
https://hh-zelda-hacking.forumotion.com/t57-the-legend-of-zelda-
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Heya guys. Intro and a few questions...   Heya guys. Intro and a few questions... Empty

Back to top Go down

Heya guys. Intro and a few questions...
Page 1 of 1