This is a forum dedicated to Zelda hacking (specifically A Link To The Past).

HomeGalleryROM MapLatest imagesRAM MapRegisterLog in

I'm here to do some Zelda hacking

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Erockbrox

I'm here to do some Zelda hacking Empty
PostSubject: I'm here to do some Zelda hacking   I'm here to do some Zelda hacking EmptyWed May 30, 2012 11:05 pm

For those of you that know me or don't know me, I used to post in the forms on the Zelda 3: Quest for Calatia site.

http://www.questforcalatia.net/Zelda3C/index.html

I submitted a lot of stuff for that hack. Worked mostly on coming up with dungeon ideas and puzzles of all sorts. I recently talked with Zack, but he hasn't updated his site in a long time and I don't necessarily know how much he is working on it right now. I'm sure though that one day he will finish it and it will a great hack, its just that he is taking way too long to finish and not making much current progress.

I would like to do some more work with Zelda 3 hacking probably focusing more on learning ASM and coding. I would like to work with other people and team up with their hacks as well. Hacking is always better when you have people to work with.

In fact, why not everyone on this message board that is interested in making a Zelda 3 hack all work together and finish one?

What I am in need of is for someone to teach me the basics for Zelda 3 hacking and ASM. Once I get that down I'm good to go on my own and can help with whatever project is needed.

I know that there was a request for doing lots of disassembly work with Zelda 3. I'd love to help out and learn more about the game, but I need someone to guide me though the process so that I know what's going on.

Basically

1. Why can't all of the people here that are interesting in Zelda3 hacking get organized and complete a hack together?

2. Who is willing help me get acquainted with Zelda 3 hacking so that I can make a contribution to this message board and Zelda 3 hacking in general?

Thanks.

Back to top Go down
Puzzledude

Puzzledude

PostSubject: Re: I'm here to do some Zelda hacking   I'm here to do some Zelda hacking EmptyThu May 31, 2012 8:21 am

You have interesting ideas, but team work is hard to achieve, since everyone has his own ideas, thus there are quite some complete Zelda3 hacks in progress. The bad side about this is, that the projects will progress slower, but in the end we will have more games to play.

However, there could be a project owned by this site and everyone, who is not involved in any personal big projects could contibute to it. That way the ideas would not get lost, like in Quest for Calatia, who has lots of new gfx and even new xml program with great capability of searching for tiles that fit together, which Hyrule Magic doesnt have. However, the project is somehow on hold, and all the new material is owned only by the author.

But if someone would for instance make a great boss sprite and contribute it to this site's common project, this boss will surely find its way into the game.

The good way of a team work game to be completed is to work on a well made overworld. If that is done, the project has potential, since the indoor rooms can be inserted via hex seperately.

Regarding the Zelda hacking in general. You should start with the Perfect guide to Hyrule Magic by Sephiroth3 and try to edit some indoors. Then move to the overworld drawing in a combination with the gfx editing, and lastly we have ASM, which is actual changing of the code.

Back to top Go down
Aeranima

Aeranima

PostSubject: Re: I'm here to do some Zelda hacking   I'm here to do some Zelda hacking EmptySat Jun 02, 2012 12:49 pm

Puzzledude wrote:
You have interesting ideas, but team work is hard to achieve, since everyone has his own ideas, thus there are quite some complete Zelda3 hacks in progress. The bad side about this is, that the projects will progress slower, but in the end we will have more games to play.

However, there could be a project owned by this site and everyone, who is not involved in any personal big projects could contibute to it. That way the ideas would not get lost, like in Quest for Calatia, who has lots of new gfx and even new xml program with great capability of searching for tiles that fit together, which Hyrule Magic doesnt have. However, the project is somehow on hold, and all the new material is owned only by the author.

But if someone would for instance make a great boss sprite and contribute it to this site's common project, this boss will surely find its way into the game.

The good way of a team work game to be completed is to work on a well made overworld. If that is done, the project has potential, since the indoor rooms can be inserted via hex seperately.

Regarding the Zelda hacking in general. You should start with the Perfect guide to Hyrule Magic by Sephiroth3 and try to edit some indoors. Then move to the overworld drawing in a combination with the gfx editing, and lastly we have ASM, which is actual changing of the code.

I have to agree with puzzle here. There's a lot of personal projects going on atm here on this forum (and others as well) which will lead to a lack potential ambitious Zelda developers to have time to invest some of their personal time into this "community project" you were suggesting.

I'd say it's not a bad idea, but personally I'd help people around the forum with their personal projects (if I were to be in your shoes) to get their projects finished, and evolve in both knowledge and experience to start such a huge project to actually build a brand new hack.

There's a lot of time needed to develop such a huge project. ^^ I've been working on mine since 2008. afro

However, welcome to the forum. ^^

-Aeranima
Back to top Go down
https://hh-zelda-hacking.forumotion.com/t57-the-legend-of-zelda-
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I'm here to do some Zelda hacking   I'm here to do some Zelda hacking Empty

Back to top Go down

I'm here to do some Zelda hacking
Page 1 of 1