This is a forum dedicated to Zelda hacking (specifically A Link To The Past).

HomeGalleryROM MapLatest imagesRAM MapRegisterLog in

Adding new graphics where there's no more available space...

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
SePH

SePH

Adding new graphics where there's no more available space... Empty
PostSubject: Adding new graphics where there's no more available space...   Adding new graphics where there's no more available space... EmptyMon Jun 04, 2012 7:06 pm

Hello wiiqwertyuiop! I saw your youtube videos a while back. Adding new srites in the game and all. I was wondering if it's possible to add graphics in places where I have no more free gfx space. For exemple the title screen where I used all the available tilesets already, totally forgetting about the credits! Nonetheless here's what I would like to add (the special thanks + nintendo original credits):

Adding new graphics where there's no more available space... ULTIMAVEZII-1

Other than that, seeing I might add a few more special thanks in the future, is it possible to have a scrolling ''special thanks'' bar at the bottom?
Back to top Go down
wiiqwertyuiop
Need anything? PM me and i'll try my best to help!
wiiqwertyuiop

PostSubject: Re: Adding new graphics where there's no more available space...   Adding new graphics where there's no more available space... EmptyMon Jun 04, 2012 11:14 pm

Yeah thats possible. You will need to use overlord (i'll link it to you if you need it, i think its in the patches section). You will need to do a DMA transfer and incbin your GFX and tilemap. I'll probably write a few codes to do it if needed.

Also moved to correct sub-forum.
Back to top Go down
https://hh-zelda-hacking.forumotion.com
SePH

SePH

PostSubject: Re: Adding new graphics where there's no more available space...   Adding new graphics where there's no more available space... EmptyMon Jun 04, 2012 11:52 pm

I haven't tried overlord on my own, pretty much because my ASM skills are inexistent. I have however been sucessfull at inserting ASM patches I had in storage since the days of PW.. with your excellent xkas guide. But beyond that it just look like random numbers to me. If you could help inserting it I would probably be in your debt Razz
Back to top Go down
wiiqwertyuiop
wiiqwertyuiop

PostSubject: Re: Adding new graphics where there's no more available space...   Adding new graphics where there's no more available space... EmptyTue Jun 05, 2012 10:15 pm

I started making it now, I need to fix a few big errors, but otherwise it's coming along well. I though I mine as well make it a separate patch from overlord. :/
Back to top Go down
SePH

SePH

PostSubject: Re: Adding new graphics where there's no more available space...   Adding new graphics where there's no more available space... EmptyTue Jun 05, 2012 10:53 pm

That was fast! A separate patch meaning it could be patched to any hack without applying overlord beforehand? Could be useful. I would still love to see new sprites using the overlord asm sometime! Will it still be compatible with overlord... should I apply it afterwards?
Back to top Go down
wiiqwertyuiop
wiiqwertyuiop

PostSubject: Re: Adding new graphics where there's no more available space...   Adding new graphics where there's no more available space... EmptyWed Jun 06, 2012 10:43 pm

Yeah, I was going to include it in overlord, but I thought it would be better this way. I'm going to need to talk to MoN though before I can release this, I have no clue why this bug is happening. o.O

Also yeah overlord and this patch will be compatible together.
Back to top Go down
wiiqwertyuiop
wiiqwertyuiop

PostSubject: Re: Adding new graphics where there's no more available space...   Adding new graphics where there's no more available space... EmptyMon Jun 11, 2012 6:45 pm

Well after thinking about it just including in overlord sounds better. Here is a code that should work:

Code:
REP #$20
LDA #$0000  ; Destination go here for info: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/29210231/VRAM_Map.txt
STA $2116
LDX #$01    ; Transfer mode
STX $4360    ; Change the channel if needed

LDX #$18
STX $4361

LDA #Graphics
STA $4362
LDX.b #Graphics>>16
STX $4364

LDA #$0800 ; GFX size
STA $4365  ; To get the size right click on your exgfx file and go to properties (the last option) look at the size (not the "size on disc") and convert it to hex on the calculator.

LDX #$40
STX $4355
SEP #$20
RTL

Graphics:
incbin  GFXFile.bin  ; This is the GFX file to use

if you want to save space you can compress them to LC_LZ2 format using Lunar Compress and upload them with this:

Code:

LDA #$7E
STA $02
REP #$20

LDA #$6000
STA $00

LDA #Graphics
STA $C8
LDX.b #Graphics>>16
STX $CA

JSL MeCode  ; Decompress the data

LDA #$0000  ; Destination go here for info: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/29210231/VRAM_Map.txt
STA $2116
LDX #$01    ; Transfer mode
STX $4360    ; Change the channel if needed

LDX #$18
STX $4361

LDA #$6000
STA $4362
LDX #$7E
STX $4364

LDA #$0800 ; Size of the GFX *uncompressed*
STA $4365  ; To get the size right click on your exgfx file and go to properties (the last option) look at the size (not the "size on disc") and convert it to hex on the calculator.

LDX #$40
STX $4355
SEP #$20
RTL

Graphics:
incbin  GFXFile.bin  ; This is the GFX file to use

that should also work with the tilemap. What I would do is first upload the GFX then go to the level/title screen and make a save state in ZSNES, then open it with this, make it and upload it. You can make the palette in Hyrule Magic or whatever.

For the moving text, I would put the text on some other layer (like BG3 for example) and just increase it's X pos. Example:

Code:
INC !RAM
Back to top Go down
SePH

SePH

PostSubject: Re: Adding new graphics where there's no more available space...   Adding new graphics where there's no more available space... EmptyThu Jun 14, 2012 1:13 am

Many thanks for this! This is much appreciated! I'll wait for Euclid to finish inserting my hud/inventory then is pretty much the next thing I'll insert! I very much like the fact that it uses external gfx! I'll be sure to post a video once it's inserted Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Adding new graphics where there's no more available space...   Adding new graphics where there's no more available space... Empty

Back to top Go down

Adding new graphics where there's no more available space...
Page 1 of 1